LT 011 | Allan Phillips – Optimizing Strength & Endurance
We’re back with Episode 11 of the Leo Training Podcast! We’ve got a fantastic episode for you today. My guest is Allan Phillips. In this interview Allan and I discuss the delicate balance of optimizing strength and endurance. We are going to discuss how to effectively program for both – strength and endurance. We’ll also discuss what you should be prioritizing in your training to achieve your best performance as well as what we feel are the best ways to schedule your training. Let me take a moment to tell you a little bit more about Allan.
Allan Phillips is a strength and conditioning specialist and co-owner of Pike Athletics based in San Antonio, Texas. Along with his coaching duties, Allan is a top ranked professional Speedgolfer, having been ranked as high as #2 in the world. As an endurance coach, Allan is certified through USA Triathlon and the American Swimming Coaches Association. His athletes have won multiple national championships and have represented the United States at the 2012 London Paralympic Games. Not limited to the endurance sport world, Allan is very active teaching StrongFirst principles as a kettlebell and bodyweight instructor. He is also certified in the Functional Movement Screen and with Titleist Performance Institute. Allan has written extensively in the strength and conditioning field. He coauthored the Swimming Science Troubleshooting System is a regular columnist of the Swimming Science website Swimmer Magazine. His work has also been featured by Sports Rehab Expert, StrengthCoach.com, Functional Movement Systems, Swim Swam News, The Active Network, and Livestrong.
Here’s what you will learn in this episode:
- Allan’s journey roots in athletics as a baseball player and golfer at Emory University
- Golf Fitness
- TPI Institute
- FMS and Hardstyle Kettlebell
- Joining the Army
- How do you fit in strength work with endurance training?
- Why injury prevention is the #1 priority for endurance athletes.
- Why adding numbers to key lifts is incidental for endurance athletes
- Always plan for your next season
- Why you need to focus on your weaknesses
- How StrongFirst Bodyweight skills and allow you to maintain strength while training for endurance
- Programming for Strength & Endurance
- How Training Age is a factor
- And much more!
It’s easy to review the show and it helps the show grow and reach a new audience. If you enjoyed this episode please take a moment and drop a review in iTunes or Stitcher. Thank you!