LT 027 | Marino Basic – GymOne
This week’s guest on the LEO Training Podcast is Marino Basic. Marino is the owner of Basic Gym One and Id Est CrossFit in Zagreb. He is a lecturer on Faculty of Kinesiology and Fitness Academy in Zagreb. Fitness coach in tennis camps of Croatian Tennis Association, Nacional Croatian Ski Team and Strength Coach of American Top Team Zagreb. Marino was also featured in Men’s Health Croatia (writer and editor of fitness section) and author of Men’s Health book, “Get your Muscles with Bodyweight Training“. He was on the cover page of Men’s Health Croatia for November 2015.
Marino works with a wide variety of athletes including MMA fighters, tennis players, and rowers. His most well known clients are the Sinkovic Brothers, the favorites to win the gold medal at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
His facility, Basic Gym One, is taking a more comprehensive approach to training. On his staff is a physical therapist and a mental coach who helps athletes work on the psychological side of the sport.
Here are some of Marino’s other credentials:
- Graduated on Faculty of Kinesiology of University of Zagreb
- Phd student at Faculty of Kinesiology in Zagreb
- CrossFit Level 1 (CF-L1)
- Kettlebell StrongFirst Level 1 Instructor (Sfg I)
- FMS (Functional Movement Screening – Level 1)
- Original Strength Level 1
- SAQ (Performance Sport Movement Award – PSM)
- Bulgarian Bag Suples Fit
- Power Plate Level 1
- UEFA A football coach
Here is what you will learn in this interview:
- Marino’s journey into health and strength & conditioning
- His PhD thesis on plyometrics
- His approach to his athletes and the philosophy at Basic Gym One
- His work with the Sinkovic Brothers
- Training protocols for endurance athletes and the importance of a low rep scheme
- and more!