LT 066 | Mike Perry – Skill of Strength
Mike is the founder and owner of Skill of Strength. In his thirteen plus years as a Personal Trainer and Strength and Conditioning Coach, he has trained clients of all ages and abilities including athletes represented in MLS, NFL, MLB, UFC Bellator MMA, CES MMA and other local mixed martial arts promotions.
In addition to providing performance-based training, Mike specializes in training clients with prior injuries including low back pain, shoulder, hip and knee injuries, and virtually any type of movement dysfunction. He works closely with local chiropractors, physical therapists and muscular therapists to ensure his clients are getting the best care possible.
In addition to running Skill of Strength, Mike works as a consultant to several other gyms where he runs in-house seminars for their staff. He is available to present on strength and conditioning related topics including, but not limited to, kettlebell training, barbell training and functional movement.
Mike also works for Pavel Tsatouline’s company, StrongFirst. He is a StrongFirst Senior Instructor (Kettlebell Instructor) and SFL instructor (Barbell Instructor) for StrongFirst. In this position as Senior Instructor, he leads teams of other instructor candidates during StrongFirst certifications and runs one-day user courses at Skill of Strength and other gyms.
Mike also recently accepted a position as an instructor with Functional Movement Systems (FMS).
Mike’s true passion is working with Mixed Martial Artists. He currently trains over a dozen local fighters including several title holders. He runs a website dedicated to the art of strength and conditioning for fighters, www.mmafightprep.com.
Mike’s credentials include:
- National Strength and Conditioning Association – Certified Personal Trainer – (NSCA-CPT)
- Strongfirst Senior Instructor
- Strongfirst Barbell Lifter- (SFL)
- USA Weightlifting Sports Performance Coach- (USA-W)
- USA Track and Field Coach (USATF)
- Functional movement screen certified specialist (FMS 1+2)
- Certified Kettlebell Functional Movement Specialist (CK-FMS)
- FMS Assistant Instructor
Here is what you will learn in the interview:
- Mike’s background
- Skill of Strength’s Intake Process for New students and clients
- Correct vs. Corrective exercise
- Training clients coming back from low back injuries
- Progressions & why regressions are doing your work twice
- MMA programming
- Why Movement prep should be skilled based
- Efficiency vs fitness
- The importance of the weight shift in the pistol
- and much more
- Skill of Strength (Website)
- Skill of Strength (Facebook)
- Skill of Strength (Instagram)
- Mike Perry (Instagram)
- Pistol Tutorial