LT 074 | Sam Loch – The Watt Farm
This week’s podcast guest is Sam Loch. Sam is a returning guest and I had him on just over a year ago in Episode 018 – Hybrid Barbarian Training.
Sam has made some incredible progress over the last year in his training – both in the gym and on the Concept 2 Indoor Rower. Sam has deadlifted over 600 pounds and set two world records on the Concept 2. He holds the record for 1 minute and 1000 meters respectively on the Concept 2 Ergometer. He has also launched the Watt Farm, his online coaching business.
No Olympics this quadrennium, but I put 60kg on my squat and ticked a few boxes. On another note, the variance in skills required to obtain these records says less about my athletic ability than it does about the human body to adapt to any given stimulus. We are all more versatile than is commonly believed. Thanks to @matt_ryan1984 for his contribution to all 3 records. He was the king of consistency and key performer in the 24hr and a reliable sounding board for the preparation and execution of the Kilos. @concept2inc @concept2au
In this interview Sam and I catch up over the past year and he opens up about his current goal, the pursuit of the 500 meter world record on the Concept 2 Ergometer.
Here’s what you will learn in this interview:
- Sam’s progress and updates over the last year
- Setting two world records and deadlifting over 600 pounds
- “How much you can adapt to, not how much you can do”
- Why Sam prioritizes strength work first and then focuses on his Concept 2 Ergometer training
- The importance of visualization
- Why 2 sessions a day cuts recovery time
- The stimulus the higher drag factor provides
- Trying to make race pace feel as easy as possible
- “Technique is the way forward”
- and much more!
It’s easy to review the show and it helps the show grow and reach a new audience. If you enjoyed this episode please take a moment and drop a review in iTunes or Stitcher. Thank you!