LT 080 | Jeff O’Connor – Youth Athletic Development
My guest this week is Jeff O’ Connor. Jeff is a former Master RKC, veteran of the United States Navy, and a career firefighter. In addition, he is a two time winner of Oklahoma’s Strongest Man and 2001 Winner of the North America’s Strongest Man, 275 lb Division (NASS).
Jeff has devoted much of his time to the development of children and adolescents. He places a strong emphasis on movement. Jeff believes that teaching the skills of strength, coordination, mobility, agility, and flexibility at the proper stages of development is the foundation for athletic performance at the highest levels.
This past week Jeff and Senior SFG, Brandon Hetzler released a brand new work “The New Language of Movement Vol 1: The Push/Pull Strategy”. It’s available for free through iTunes and can be read in iBooks. Be sure to check it out!
Good Morning ☺️☀️! Sunday dropping a brand new #podcast interview with Jeff O’ Connor, former Master RKC and North American Strongman winner. We discuss what Jeff has been up to, his approach to working with youth athletes and what he focuses on as well as the evolution of kettlebells in the #rkc and #strongfirst as well as a brand new project released this week with Senior SFG Brandon Hetzler @b_hetz . This is a can’t miss episode folks! #strongfirst #strength #kettlebells #kettlebell #deadlift #barbell #strongman #kalosthenos @mahoneyperformancetraining @matt_rice_dc @alphill4305 @fivepointsacademy @strongfirst @mlgirevikstrong
- Identifying key abilities that need to be developed in an individual
- What’s the biggest priority?
- Injury Prevention & High Performance
- Health and Fitness are not separate
- Don’t chase reps!
- Teaching the athlete to process information from multiple stimulus and inputs – verbal, visual, kinesthetic
- Motor skill development
- Jeff’s thoughts on the application and value
- and much more!
- Outlaw Strength
- “The New Language of Movement Vol 1: The Push/Pull Strategy”
- Jeff O’Connor Instructor Profile on DragonDoor
- Kettlebells for Power Athletes
- Kalosthenos: Kettlebells from the Ground Up Part 2
It’s easy to review the show and it helps the show grow and reach a new audience. If you enjoyed this episode please take a moment and drop a review in iTunes or Stitcher. Thank you!